Friday, March 25, 2011

Our Site

I arrived on site yesterday afternoon, just in time to share lunch with the nearly 50 artists who had already arrived. After almost 30 hours of traveling you'd think I'd be exhausted, but I found myself extremely energized. With a view like this, who wouldn't be?


The site is actually a Baptist camp site, with a few buildings and many tents set up for working and sleeping. The studio setup here - for jewelry as well as other media including steel, wood (turning & fabrication), glass (fusing, lampworking and neon!), printmaking, painting and ceramics - is very impressive. My bench is better equipped than most places I have taught! I feel very fortunate to have such gracious hosts to organize this whole event, and will have to introduce them to you here as the week progresses.

The schedule for the week actually includes only five days of making, followed by three more days of auction prep and cleanup. This doesn't leave much time to meet the other artists, plan something together and execute it, but that limitation is one of the best things about these events. You don't have time to think too much or take your successes or failures too seriously. It's a very fertile ground for learning, "happy accidents" and growth.

The people I have met so far are extraordinary. They are singularly warm, generous, talented and humble souls, all from various corners of the earth. I feel very blessed to be among them in this beautiful place.

Location:McDonald Rd,Whangarei Heads,New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment