Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Belonging

Maori culture - language, art, music - is very much alive and interwoven throughout daily life in New Zealand. One of the first things I learned about Maori culture here (which has spread to become a Kiwi thing in general) is about how people identify themselves. New Zealand is very place-oriented, and having seen some of its breathtaking sites, I can see why. I am told that before someone even tells you their name, they will tell you their "mountain," i.e., the mountain they live below (or sometimes a river or other geographic landmark). I love this notion. What a lovely sense of belonging. It feels like I should carry a photo of Mt. Hood - or maybe Fuji-san - as my ancestor. Here is Mt. Manaia, in whose shadow the collab was held.

Another Maori custom I love is the traditional greeting - the hongi or "sharing of breath." It's hard to mistrust someone who greets you this way! I think we should all adopt this greeting.

I got to visit a breathtakingly-crafted marae on the Unitec campus in Auckland, with a personal tour of the wharenui (meeting house) by creator and fellow collab artist Lyonel Grant. What an incredible opportunity. Though photos of the inside of the wharenui are forbidden, here a couple of the outside to give you an idea. The intricacy of the carving is exquisite, but perhaps even more impressive is all the thought and symbolism behind it. Every line, image, material and its placement is carefully considered, and together portray a history of local Maori culture through the present day. I feel so fortunate to have had the chance to go on this guided tour led by such a talented artist, and am happy to be able to share the experience with you.







1 comment:

  1. I've never been to NZ but the customs you explained are all very interesting. I love the intricate details on the church. I feel this is a country that has numerous hidden treasures. :-)

    ReplyDelete